Senior Research Scientist
|Position Title:||Senior Research Scientist|
|Reports To:||Director of Technology|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
|Exempt / Non-Exempt:||Exempt|
A Senior Research Scientist leads their assigned research project with the goal to develop and support new or existing products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of research projects to ensure timely completion of tasks, clear communication with stakeholders, and meet deliverables.
- Leads design, research, and development activities of new or existing products. Products may include human cells and tissue product (from cadaveric or live donation), medical devices, or biologics.
- Design research project’s scientific strategy based on exhaustive review of peer-reviewed literature, data analysis, generation of data by performing supporting experiments, and ensuring standards & regulations are met.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of FDA, AATB, ISO, and other regulatory requirements or guidance as deemed appropriate.
- Design, execute, supervise and/or assist in a variety of scientific experiments related to research projects by creating, collecting, evaluating, and interpreting statistically significant data. Data must support gate decisions and/or product launch. Experimentation may extend to in-vitro or in-vivo assays in-house or externally sourced.
- Operates, tests, and repairs electronic and scientific test equipment used for research project related tasks.
- Ensure quality and quality control within their assigned research project and other department research projects.
- Develop guidelines, operating procedures, forms, protocols, reports, proposals, presentations, among other research project related documents.
- Maintains the budget and promotes the general operational efficiency for their assigned research project.
- Communicate and negotiate with various vendors to source and implement testing, equipment, supplies, materials, or other resources to support research project activities.
- Generally, work independently on research projects and exercise independent thinking and judgment in the absence of established protocols and procedures.
- Train and support research associate, consultants, and interns on multiple research-related procedures and protocols as needed.
- May supervise research associate, consultants, and interns.
- Engage and collaborate with key stakeholders (ex. medical or scientific collaborators),
department staff and other departments to execute department research projects.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Skills & Abilities:
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical challenges.
- Ability to work effectively with department staff, staff from various departments, consultants, medical and corporate collaborators.
- Ability to plan and carry out experiments independently, and to work with complex instrumentation and software.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to meet deadlines timely.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (ex. Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in statistical analysis software (ex. GraphPad).
- Ability to travel for company meetings within the United States.
- Must have background knowledge of
tissue banking industry and regulatory policy. Experience in human cells and tissue products is preferred.
- Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to occasionally position self into low or small spaces, such as under a desk.
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline (e.g., biology, bioengineering, biochemistry chemistry) required. Experience in industry may be considered.
- At least 5 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- At least 5 years of formal project management experience.
- At least 5 years of research and development and/or product development experience.
- Experience in writing and presenting scientific research papers.
Ability to commute/relocate:
San Antonio, TX 78249: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: On location