Research & Development Manager
|Position Title:||Research & Development Manager|
|Department:||Research and Development|
|Reports To:||Director of Research & Development|
|Job Type:||Full Time|
|Exempt / Non-Exempt:||Exempt|
A Research & Development Manager supports the research & development department’s scientific strategy and manages laboratory daily operation with the goal to develop and support new or existing products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for laboratory productivity by ensuring timely completion, deliverables, and clear communication with stakeholders of research projects.
- Responsible for the effective daily management, operation, quality control, and safety of the laboratory; for instance, supply management, equipment maintenance, and training.
- Develop guidelines, operating procedures, forms, protocols, reports, proposals, presentations, among other needed documentation related to laboratory management and research projects.
- Maintains the budget and promotes the general operational efficiency of the laboratory.
- Communicate and negotiate with various vendors to source and implement testing, equipment, supplies, materials, or other resources to support research project activities.
- Engage and collaborate with key stakeholders (ex. medical or scientific collaborators), department staff and other departments to execute department’s research projects.
- Design department’s scientific strategy based on exhaustive review of peer-reviewed literature, data analysis, generation of data by performing supporting experiments, and ensuring standards & regulations are met with the support of the Director of Research & Development.
- Leads design, research, and development activities of new or existing products. Products may include human cells and tissue product (from cadaveric or live donation), medical devices, or biologics.
- Design, execute, supervise and/or assist in a variety of scientific experiments related to research projects by creating, collecting, evaluating, and interpreting statistically significant data. Data must support project management milestones and deliverables. Experimentation may extend to in-vitro or in-vivo assays in-house or external.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of FDA, AATB, ISO, and other regulatory requirements or guidance as deemed appropriate.
- Support Director of Research & Development with project’s regulatory strategy.
- Lead publications of internally generated data.
- May supervise staff, consultants, and interns on research activities as deemed appropriate by Director of Research & Development.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, multitasking and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Excellent managerial skills.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to solve technical challenges.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (ex. Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in statistical analysis software (ex. GraphPad).
- Ability to work effectively with department staff, staff from various departments, consultants, medical and corporate collaborators.
- Ability to plan and carry out experiments, and to work with complex instrumentation and software.
- Ability to meet deadlines timely.
- Ability to travel for company meetings within the United States.
- Must have background knowledge of tissue banking industry and regulatory policy.
- Must be able to occasionally move or lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to occasionally position self into low or small spaces, such as under a desk.
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline (e.g., biology, bioengineering, biochemistry chemistry) required. Experience in industry may be considered.
- At least 5 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- At least 5 years of formal project management experience.
- At least 5 years of research and development and/or product development experience.
- Experience in writing, presenting, and publishing scientific research papers.
- Experience in human cells and tissue products is preferred.
- Experience managing a laboratory & staff is preferred.
Ability to commute/relocate:
San Antonio, TX 78249: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: On location